At Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Great Lakes Bay Region, child safety is our number one priority. With this in mind, we have been keeping a close eye on the developments in the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19). We will continue to monitor the latest developments on the spread of the virus, and make appropriate decisions to protect the kids we serve, our volunteers, and our staff.
At this time, we have made the following changes to our operations:
- Our offices will be closed and BBBS staff will be working remotely until Governor Whitmer moves our counties to stage 5. After that, we will announce a limited opening plan. We can still be reached via firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at 844.4BE.ABIG. Please visit our staff directory for contact information if you need to reach out to a specific staff member. Note that there may be some delays for returning phone calls, but all staff members will check their voicemail, and return your call as soon as possible.
- All Community Based Mentoring program Bigs and Littles can begin to meet again on June 15th. We have outlined specific requirements for these outings. If you are a Community Based Big or a Parent/Guardian, please refer to the email you received on June 8th, or contact your Match Coordinator for specific expectations. Any matches that feel uncomfortable meeting in person may still meet virtually. Consider one of these ideas for social distancing approved match outings.
- All new match meetings (meetings between staff members and prospective new Bigs and Littles) remain suspended at this time. We anticipate resuming these meetings in the near future, but no date has been set at this time.
- All Teaming Up With Youth programs and Lunchbox Learners programs will be cancelled for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year. We will re-evaluate our plans for the fall semester over the summer.
- Our Bowl for Kids’ Sake event on Saturday, April 18th at Riverwood in Mt Pleasant has been cancelled.
- Our Bowl for Kids’ Sake events in Midland and Saginaw have been postponed. We are working to determine if/when a new date for the events will be set, and will announce our plans as soon as we can.
- Building Bright Futures breakfasts in Midland and Saginaw are currently postponed. We are working to determine the best, and safest, course of action for this event for 2020. We will announce our plans as soon as possible.
- Bids for Kids online auction will be held as scheduled July 29-August 3 at bigbids.org.
We are keeping in close contact with schools and local government and health officials, and we will alert our volunteers and families of any changes when they occur. We encourage everyone to be safe and exercise caution. Please avoid any form of physical contact with any of our Littles, volunteers or staff members if you are exhibiting any symptoms of COVID-19. Again, our top priority is safety.
Please check back here for the most up-to-date information on program changes or cancellations. In the meantime, stay safe and healthy, and follow the CDC’s recommended protocol for protecting yourself and those around you.