At Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Great Lakes Bay Region, child safety is our number one priority. With this in mind, we have been keeping a close eye on the developments in the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19). We will continue to monitor the latest developments on the spread of the virus, and make appropriate decisions to protect the kids we serve, our volunteers, and our staff.
At this time, we have made the following changes to our operations:
- Our offices will be closed and BBBS staff will be working remotely indefinitely. After determining it is in the best interest of everyone’s safety, we will announce a limited opening plan. We can still be reached via firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at 844.4BE.ABIG. Please visit our staff directory for contact information if you need to reach out to a specific staff member. Note that there may be some delays for returning phone calls, but all staff members will check their voicemail, and return your call as soon as possible.
- All Community Based Mentoring program Bigs and Littles can meet in person if they wish. We have outlined specific requirements for these outings. If you are a Community Based Big or a Parent/Guardian and have questions, please contact your Match Coordinator for further information. Any matches that feel uncomfortable meeting in person may still meet virtually. Consider one of these ideas for social distancing approved match outings. We reserve the right to return to virtual-only match meetings if we deem it necessary for the safety of our Bigs, Littles and their families.
- New match meetings may continue by appointment only. Please contact your match coordinator for additional information.
- All Teaming Up With Youth programs and Lunchbox Learners programs have been suspended. Please check out our new virtual mentoring program that will take the place of these programs indefinitely
- All Bowl for Kids’ Sake events have been suspended for 2021. We will re-evaluate this decision in the fall to determine the plan for 2022 and beyond.
- Building Bright Futures breakfasts in Midland and Saginaw will once again be held as a single virtual event. Expect an announcement with more information late-Winter or early-Spring.
We are keeping in close contact with schools and local government and health officials, and we will alert our volunteers and families of any changes when they occur. We encourage everyone to be safe and exercise caution. Please avoid any form of physical contact with any of our Littles, volunteers or staff members if you are exhibiting any symptoms of COVID-19. Again, our top priority is safety.
Please check back here for the most up-to-date information on program changes or cancellations. In the meantime, stay safe and healthy, and follow the CDC’s recommended protocol for protecting yourself and those around you.